Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit
We are grateful for the generous support of our sponsors, who make it possible for us to continue our mission of preserving and promoting the rich history of pipe organs across the globe.
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit
Something missing?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit
From a Facebook post by Phil Cooper, July 28, 2023.
"The church obtained an organ from Trinity Lutheran Church in Reading in 1873 but the church along with everything inside burned to the ground on July 3, 1907...
BTW - the old organ was built by the famous Lititz organ builder David Tannenberg in 1771 so a photo showing what the organ looked like would be a really spectacular find, to say the least."
Unclear if the "old organ" refers to the original organ before the transplant of 1873 or it refers to the transplanted organ.
Known from a report in The Philadelphia Inquirer, Jul 4, 1907, Page 2.
"DOYLESTOWN.--The Lower Tinicum Lutheran and Reformed church, near Wormansville, was destroyed by fire, together with a large pipe organ and furniture. The loss is estimated at $20,000."
For many years Tinicum was known as Wormansville, so called from a numerous and prominent family of that name. In 1850 three Worman families lived in the village, one of them owning the village store. A post office was established in September, 1891, with W.H. Wolfinger as the first postmaster. The handsome gothic edifice of Christ's Evangelical Lutheran Church, built in 1908, and the Lutheran parsonage, erected in 1917, occupy sites on the south side of Smithtown Road. This congregation was organized about 1760 and jointly with the Reformed congregation, owned and occupied the Union Church near the village on Dark Hollow Road until July 3, 1907. On that day Union Church, a fine brick structure with a steeple 160 feet high, was wrecked and the spire entirely destroyed by fire, presumed to have resulted from a bolt of lightning which struck the steeple during a storm late on the evening before. After the fire the Reformed congregation purchased the Lutherans' interest in the property and rebuilt the church, while the Lutherans built a church on the present site on four acres of ground bought from Mrs. Hannah Stover. The burned church was popularly known as Lower Tinicum Church to distinguish it from Upper TInicum Church near Uhlerstown in the northeastern part of the township.
This entry represents the installation of a used organ. Identified by T. Daniel Hancock, using information from http://davidtannenberg.com/TannenbergTriLuth_Reading.htm web site.
Relocated from Reading in 1874 by persons unknown. Burned along with the Pipersville Reformed Church in 1917. [Ed. n.b. Was actually 1907]
Related Instrument Entries: David Tannenberg (1794) , David Tannenberg (1771)
Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit