Fairfield, Coonecticut
Our Saviour's Lutheran Church
HUTCHINGS, PLAISTED & CO., Opus 75, 1875
Jeremy Cooper, 2014 - Mech. Restoration with Tonal Revision
MANUAL (Expressive) COUPLERS
8 Open Diapason Treble [TC] 46 Manual to Pedal coupler
8 Stop Diapason Bass 12
8 Quintadena Treble [TC] 46
8 Stop Diapason Bass 12 FOOT LEVERS
4 Principal 58 Expression (hitch-down)
4 Flute 58
2 Fifteenth 58
III Sharp 174 ACTION: Mech. Key & Stop
VOICES: 7 STOPS: 9
PEDAL
16 Subbass 27 RANKS: 9 PIPES: 491
NOTES
The internal construction of this organ suggests that it was built in Boston
around 1845, perhaps by Thomas Appleton or E. & G.G. Hook. It was a "G" organ;
that is, the manual key compass started at the G below bottom C, omitted GT,
and continued up to what is now f 54. The stoplist was similar to the present
one, with an 8' Dulciana in place of the Quintadena, and an 8' Hautboy in
place of the Sharp. The Stop Diapason Treble, like the present one, was a
metal chimney flute, as was the 4' Flute.
In 1875, the organ was rebuilt by Hutchings, Plaisted & Co. of Boston, for
the Congregational Church of York (Harbor), Maine. At that time, the pedal-
board and pedal pipes were added; the original casework was replaced with
the present black walnut case; the key compass was altered, omitting the
bottom 4 notes (GG, AA, AA#, and BB) and adding the top 4 (f#''', g''',
g#''', and a'''); and a new, projecting keydesk with round-shank flat knobs
was provided.
Around 1959, the organ was dismantled and placed in storage. When it was
obtained by Jeremy Cooper nearly 20 years later, it had suffered consider-
able damage but was carefully restored by Mr. Cooper.
excerpted from notes by Alan Laufman, President 1978-79, Organ Historical
Society
Sources: New York City Organ Project
Our Saviour's Lutheran Church
160 Hill Farm Road
Fairfield, CT. 06430 Documented: March 28, 2021