Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit
We are grateful for the generous support of our sponsors, who make it possible for us to continue our mission of preserving and promoting the rich history of pipe organs across the globe.
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit
From the Westchester 2023 • AGO Regional Convention website: The organ at St. Mary’s was built by J.H. & C.S. Odell & Co. of New York City in 1906 as their Opus 423. The instrument was to have 3 manuals and 46 ranks with tubular-pneumatic action. Manual compass was 61 notes, while the pedal compass was 30. The organ included a 7-rank Echo division, located in a front gallery, playable from the Choir manual. The new organ cost $12,800.
In 1959, the Odell firm, by then located in Yonkers, rebuilt the instrument as their Opus 637, with 49 ranks and chimes. The action was electro-pneumatic with slider chests. The pedal compass was increased to 32 notes, and the fourth manual was provided for the Echo division. Most of the swell and choir stops were increased to 73 notes, the exceptions being the 2’ ranks and the Dolce Cornet. Deagan chimes were added. The rebuild cost $25,000. The pastor at the time, Msgr. Richard Fitzgerald, was an organist himself, and it is clear that he appreciated the tonal design of the original instrument as most of the changes were on the mechanical side. The one tonal change in the contract was in the Pedal division: In the original installation, there was an independent 16’ Double Open Diapason. In the rebuilt instrument, this was replaced by a 16’ Major Bass while the Great Double Open Diapason was made playable on the pedals at 16’, 8’ and 4’ pitches.
By the time Msgr. Hugh Corrigan arrived as pastor on February 1, 1987, the organ needed some major repairs. While some advised him to get an electronic organ, he recognized that this instrument is one of the great treasures of the parish. So necessary repairs were made and the organ continued to play for the people of God. Msgr. Corrigan retired July 1, 2018, and was succeeded by Fr. Anthony Columba Ekanem, MSP. Fr. Tony, as he is known, appreciates the organ and its role in worship, and jumped at the chance to host this recital as part of the AGO’s 2023 Northeastern Regional Convention as the parish celebrates its 175th anniversary.
Stanton Daugherty Pipe Organ Service cares for this instrument, which is used each week for the parish’s English Masses as well as the Arabic Masses of the Church of the Good Shepherd, an Arabic national parish that has been located at St. Mary’s since 1975. It also provides the music for our bilingual Masses, when the English- and Spanish-speaking communities come together, as well as weddings and funerals and other special events.
Thanks to Anne Walkenhorst of the Organ Historical Society’s Archives for assistance in researching the history of this organ. Msgr. Corrigan’s book was also a source of great information.
Related Instrument Entries: J. H. & C. S. Odell & Co. (Opus 423, 1906)
Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit