Henry (Heinrich) F. Berger
1855

St. James Episcopal Church

3100 Monkton Road
Monkton, MD, US

Instrument ID: 49178 ● Builder ID: 536 ● Location ID: 43290
⬆️ These are database IDs that may change. Don't use as academic reference.EXPLORE IMAGES

Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit

IMAGES

Category:
Only show images in a specific category ☝️

Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit

STOPLISTS

No stoplist details are available. If you have stoplists, please consider sharing them with us.

Something missing?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit

CONSOLES

Selected Item:
View additional console entries if they exist ☝️

Builder: Unknown
Position: Keydesk Attached, Manuals Set Into Case
Design: Traditional With Hinged Doors That Enclose Keyboards
Pedalboard Type: Unknown
Features:
1 Manuals Mechanical (Unknown) Key ActionMechanical Stop Action

Stop Layout: Unknown
Expression Type: Unknown
Combination Action: Unknown
Control System: Unknown or N/A

Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit

DETAILS

Switch between notes, documents, audio, and blowers ☝️
This instrument is: Not Extant and Not Playable in this location

Charles Eberline on January 27th, 2022:

The correct date of the Baltimore Sun article is March 24, 1855 (not 1854). See https://www.newspapers.com/image/371317758 (The Baltimore Sun (Baltimore, Maryland) 24 Mar 1855, Sat Page 1). The brief article is in the last column on the right side of the page.


Database Manager on September 19th, 2016:

Updated through online information from James R. Stettner.


Database Manager on July 25th, 2015:

Updated through online information from Steve Bartley. -- The organ seen in the photograph is by Henry Berger. Based on the following article in the Baltimore Sun Paper. 3/24/1854
Handsome Church Organ- Mr. Henry F. Berger, organ builder of this city, has just completed a beautiful and fine toned organ for the Protestant Episcopal church at Monkton, Baltimore County, Rev. M.L. Forbes, rector. The case is gothic style of architecture, 9 ft. in height, 5 ft. wide, and 3 ft. deep, and contains a variety of pleasing stops, sufficiently powerful for a choir of twenty effective voices.
On the front is a silver plate containing the following inscription, "This organ was presented to St. James' Parish by John Slade of Harford County," which is expressive of the christian liberality of that gentleman. It has been erected in the church, and performed on by the builder, in the presence of the congregation.
The organ was replaced in 1949 by Aeolian-Skinner Op. 1148.


Database Manager on February 1st, 2012:

Identified through online information from Jeff Scofield.

Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit

Pipe Organ Database

A project of the Organ Historical Society