Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit
There are 54 keys in the manual. A FOOT LEVER, right of center, that- canceled the fifteenth and/or principal, which, in turn, had to be notched out when drawn, was left out in the reconditioning. The notches on the undersides of these stop shanks and the slot for the pedal have been filled in. Since the organ sat unused for 50 years and there had been much damage, the 37 pipes of the open diapason are new pipes, and some pipes in the other ranks are replacements. The principal and fifteenth have been regulated brighter. Penciled on the front of the chest, evidently in the maker's own hand, are the words : H. F. Berger / Baltim ore / Sept. 1855. On middle C, principal pipe appears : H. Mayer / maker / Baltimore / 1854; on treble c, open diapason pipe and on tenor C, fifteenth : H. Mayer / maker / Baltimore / 1855. For more complete details about this organ and about Henry F. Berger, vide THE TRACKER, Vol. VIII, No. 2; Winter 1964, p. 1. -- 1964 OHS Handbook
Notes from the parish website: The Parish History Notes 31: The Berger Organ Henry F. Berger was born near Toulouse, France, in 1819 and learned the skills of organ building from his father. He came to this country in 1849. He made church organs and other musical instruments in Baltimore, Md., and later in York, Pa., until fire destroyed his factory and three finished organs on March 10, 1861. In September 1855 he completed the organ that inspires us at Fork Church to this day. There is only one other Berger organ known to exist.
In the Winter1964 issue of The Tracker, the publication of the Organ Historical Society, Cleveland Fisher describes our instrument and provides clues to its origin. It appears that the organ was previously owned and used by St. George’s Church, Fredericksburg, and in 1874 their vestry decided to replace it. The first reference to it at Fork Church is in the diary of Ruth Page of Oakland. Her earliest recollection of the organ was 1882, when she and her parents returned from China. Repairs were needed at that time, and a fair was held at the church in 1888 to raise funds for its renovation.
A number of repair dates are noted on the organ, including 1876, 1895, 1902 and 1912. In 1963 it was reconditioned and an electric blower was added. Until then, the organ had to be pumped by hand. The most recent renovation of this historically significant asset was by the Rappahannock Pipe Organ Company in April 2003.
Updated through on-line information from Barbara Owen. -- Restored 2004 by Rappahannock Organ Co., Village, Virginia
Status Note: There 1963
Acquired by this congregation c. 1880 (possibly from St. George's Episcopal, Fredericksburg, VA, who agreed to dispose of their organ in 1874). Restored by Cleveland Fisher c. 1963. Open Diapson pipes replaced with modern pipes.
Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit