Richard Lurth Organ Co.
1981

Sisters of St. Francis

Our Lady of Lourdes Chapel

Rochester, MN, US

Instrument ID: 23299 ● Builder ID: 3883 ● Location ID: 20869
⬆️ These are database IDs that may change. Don't use as academic reference.

Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit

IMAGES

Category:
Only show images in a specific category ☝️

No images are available. If you have pictures of this instrument, please consider sharing them with us.

Something missing?Add Image

STOPLISTS

No stoplist details are available. If you have stoplists, please consider sharing them with us.

Something missing?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit

CONSOLES

Selected Item:
View additional console entries if they exist ☝️

Builder: Unknown
Position: Unknown
Design: Unknown
Pedalboard Type: Unknown
Features:

Stop Layout: Unknown
Expression Type: Unknown
Combination Action: Unknown
Control System: Unknown or N/A

Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit

DETAILS

Switch between notes, documents, audio, and blowers ☝️
This instrument is: Extant and Playable in this location

Jim Stettner on April 7th, 2021:

From the Twin Cities AGO Organ List. -- There was originally a small pipe organ in the balcony. It is unknown what it was or when it was removed.
In 1981 Richard Lurth of Mankato placed an organ at the front of the chapel, made with salvaged pipes, the core of which had been Skinner Opus 642 from St. Mary's Hospital Auditorium. At one point it was said that none of the Rochester organists would play it because of mechanical problems and ciphers.
Peter Duys somehow took possession of the organ, removing its large facade pipes for another project.
The current organ is mounted on cantilevered platforms in the transept, invisible from the nave since they are around the corner. Principal pipes are on one side (7 ranks) and flute pipes are on the other side (3 ranks). Many were involved in its construction.
The organ was completely rebuilt in 2015-16 by Grandall and Engen of Maple Grove. Chests were extensively rebuilt to ensure reliable operation of what were homemade, amateur wind chests full of leaks and ciphers. Soundproof boxes for blowers were installed. The blower for the principals was found to be running backward and not producing enough pressure. G&E replaced a very small scale wood rank with a larger one more appropriate for the space. The 8' and 4' Principals had been flipped, so wiring was corrected to reflect the current locations. The mixture was restored. All pipes were checked for proper speech. Wiring was cleaned up. The organ now works."


Database Manager on April 15th, 2006:

Identified through information adapted from E. M. Skinner/Aeolian-Skinner Opus List, by Sand Lawn and Allen Kinzey (Organ Historical Society, 1997), and included here through the kind permission of Sand Lawn:
Incorporates E. M. Skinner Opus 642 (1927).

Related Instrument Entries: Skinner Organ Co. (Opus 642, 1927)

Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit

Pipe Organ Database

A project of the Organ Historical Society