Mathias Schwab
ca. 1859

St. Joseph Convent / St. Joseph Catholic Church

Sanctuary

E 12th and Greenup Streets
Covington, KY, US

7 Ranks - 2 Physical Divisions
Instrument ID: 17996 ● Builder ID: 5650 ● Location ID: 16366
⬆️ These are database IDs that may change. Don't use as academic reference.EXPLORE IMAGESVIEW STOPLIST

Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit

IMAGES

Category:
Only show images in a specific category ☝️

Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit

STOPLISTS

Selected Item:
View additional stoplist entries if they exist ☝️
Click on a stop or division name for additional details if marked with 🛈.

PEDAL MOVEMENTS: Expression (balanced); ACCESSORIES: Bellows Alarm
Originally Written/Published: 2021

Open In New Tab

Something missing or not quite correct?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit

CONSOLES

Selected Item:
View additional console entries if they exist ☝️

Builder: Mathias Schwab
Position: Keydesk Attached
Design: Traditional With a Keyboard Cover That Can Be Lifted To Form a Music Rack
Pedalboard Type: Flat Straight
Features:
1 Manuals (54 Notes)13 Note Pedal2 Divisions7 Stops8 RegistersMechanical (Unknown) Key ActionMechanical Stop Action

Stop Layout: Drawknobs in Vertical Rows on Flat Jambs
Expression Type: Balanced Expression Shoes/Pedals (Details Unknown)
Combination Action: None
Control System: Unknown or N/A

Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit

DETAILS

Switch between notes, documents, audio, and blowers ☝️
This instrument is: Not Extant and Not Playable in this location

Paul R. Marchesano on January 13th, 2021:

Founded in 1859 by The Benedictine Sisters of St. Walburg Monastery from Erie, Pennsylvania at the request of the bishop to teach German to the children of St. Joseph [German Catholic] parish. Seems to be locally or commonly called St. Joseph's convent, although that has not been confirmed as the official name. St. Joseph's Church was completed the same year. This suggests a date of c. 1859 to this organ.

The building was remodeled in 1878 with a revised tower. In 1915 the tower was knocked off the building by a tornado and there was some additional damage to the building.

The organ was moved [apparently] when the nuns established Villa Madonna College in 1922 on a large farm property purchased in 1903. In 1916, the novitiate moved from Covington to Villa Madonna, and the motherhouse in 1922.


Paul R. Marchesano on January 13th, 2021:

Sold to St. Francis Xavier R. C., Falmouth, KY c. 1941-46 shortly before the building was razed.


Database Manager on September 20th, 2006:

Moved to a Roman Catholic church (not named) in southern Kentucky when the convent building was razed.

Related Instrument Entries: Unknown Builder (ca. 1921) , Unknown Builder (ca. 1940-41)

Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit

Pipe Organ Database

A project of the Organ Historical Society